Mystikal’s Lawyer Confident Rapper Will Beat Rape Charge – Billboard


The lawyer who represented Mystikal on rape and kidnapping charges that were dropped in late 2020 said Thursday (August 4) that he is representing the 51-year-old rapper again – and is confident he will be cleared again.



See the latest videos, graphics and news

See the latest videos, graphics and news

“I don’t think there’s a chance of this going to trial,” Joel Pearce said as he returned to Shreveport from the Ascension Parish Jail in Gonzales, where he met Mystikal (his real name: Michael Tyler).

Tyler, who served six years in prison after pleading guilty in 2003 to sexual assault, was arrested on Sunday on charges accusing him of raping and choking a woman in his home on Saturday.

Pearce represented him in December 2020, when prosecutors in Caddo Parish in northwest Louisiana dropped rape and kidnapping charges that had kept him in jail for 18 months.

On Tuesday, Mystikal was denied bail in what is being called a “72-hour hearing”.

State District Judge Steven Tureau said the evidence against the rapper, his background and the victim’s fears met the standard to hold him without bond.

“No evidence was given from my client,” Pearce said. He said he will request a full bail hearing at which evidence can be presented.

Defense attorney Roy Maughan Jr., who had requested $250,000 bail, said the lawyer after Tuesday’s hearing, Tyler is unlikely to appeal the bail decision.

Maughan is no longer on the case, Pearce said. He said he was working with Timothy Yazbeck of New Orleans, who worked with him on the Caddo Parish case.

He said he would also request what is called a preliminary review. Tyler “hasn’t been charged, so we have to test the state’s case. It’s a little mini-trial,” Pearce said.

Mystikal, who grew up in New Orleans and now lives in Prairieville, is charged with assaulting the woman, taking her keys and holding her against her will, according to an arrest warrant.

“He never threatened her, never choked her,” Pearce said.

Sheriff’s Detective Garrett Keith said the woman went to Tyler’s home on Saturday night to talk about the financial commitments he had made to her.

According to the detective, Tyler’s behavior changed abruptly after he went to the bathroom and returned: he accused her of stealing money, choked her and pulled her hair out.

Keith also said she had numerous cuts and bruises.

“I want to see the actual medical report,” Pearce said.

He said he would also seek a protective order that Tyler told him was granted against the woman about eight years ago.


Comments are closed.